Category Archives: DIY

DIYStamp01

I’m no exception to the creative world when I say that I absolutely love DIY projects. My only downfall is that I barely ever get to do them – being intentional about spending time in prayer and reading the Bible every day, participating in numerous Bible studies, volunteering at our church, going back to school, keeping up the house, loving on my husband, and raising a two-year-old and a nine-month-old is no joke. Oh, and I try to work out three to five times a week. I’m a little overwhelmed to say the least.

Every once in a while, though, I drop everything and pick up my camera. I love taking pictures of things that I’m passionate about.

This DIY project didn’t take very long at all. I really didn’t like the drab changing pad cover on Fletcher’s changing table, as you can see in the “before” picture, below (oh, and I still haven’t gotten around to switching out the “M” in the picture frame on the wall for a “F”; we kept Marlowe’s nursery pretty much the same for Fletcher and moved Marlowe into a big-girl’s room).

DIYStamp02

All I did was dig through my collection of two stamps and picked out the larger one. Arrows are simple enough; they don’t draw very much attention, but they’re big enough to make the changing pad pop. I found some matte black paint in my painting bag and got to work while watching Peter Sellers in “The Pink Panther”. Best movie ever, by the way. Classic. 10 minutes later, I was done! I let it dry overnight before I started changing Fletcher on it, just to make sure the paint was super dry.

DIYStamp03DIYStamp04

01

02

03040506

11

070809

10

This past weekend went by way too fast. I guess that’s what happens when every single minute is planned out. 😉

Fletcher’s flower shower was a big success! I decorated almost everything on Saturday morning (I won’t mention that I woke up at 4 AM, thanks to my husband, who was jet lagged and couldn’t stop squirming around) and that worked out well. Blowing up all those balloons took a while, but it went by surprisingly fast! I guess it helps when I really enjoy doing stuff like that.

The cake was AMAZING (in part, because I didn’t bake it myself haha) and thanks to Target, picking it up was a breeze. All I asked for was a plain white cake with no borders, butter-creme icing, marble batter and raspberry filling. When I got home, I placed the purple flowers on top in about 5 minutes.

The French Macarons were from Whole Foods’ bakery. I love that place. And the macarons tasted so flippin’ good and light. Have you ever tried one? I suggest you go eat one right now.

I was so pleased to see everyone; we had a blast hanging out and talking about baby stuff (a few of my guests were pregnant, and a few others had just given birth to babies)! We did miss a few peeps who weren’t able to come, though.

Lastly, I want to thank everyone for the amazing gifts and diapers (especially the diaper-flowers and diaper-cake; such creativity)! They will be put to great use, haha!

DIYottoman01DIYottoman02

Our house is an ever-changing, ever-evolving thing. My husband is constantly annoyed with my projects. I don’t really care too much, because in the end they always seem to work out. Sometimes, though, it takes a little more effort.

Take this ottoman, for example. It was a little more work than I had originally thought it would be. I was also pretty nervous about the material; it didn’t really match anything in our house! I got it on sale at Joann for $8 a yard, which is pretty pricey, if you ask me. (I used [this 50% off coupon]!) The ottoman was on sale at TJ Maxx for only $50, though, so I figured I could splurge a bit on cute fabric.

A word of advice: When you’re looking to cover an ottoman, or any piece of furniture, with fabric, make sure you take measurements. I eyeballed the thing before going to get fabric, and it turns out that it was definitely not long enough on one side.

DIYottoman03

So, I took the measurements (below) and tried to sew the fabric together on my sewing machine. Wrong. Don’t try to sew faux fur when you don’t really know what you’re doing, which was my case precisely. (That’s another thing my husband hates: I pretty much wing it when it comes to… well, everything. Crafts, sewing, cooking, baking. Dumb.) The stupid thing wouldn’t sew properly and it ended up breaking my needle. So much for that.

DIYottoman06

I ended up using my [staple gun], which is a very handy thing to have, and the whole thing is put together with staples. The glorious thing is that you can’t tell because the fur is so thick! The seams are on either side of the top of the ottoman (sorry for the horrible explanation, it doesn’t seem to be a good day for advanced vocabulary for me. Maybe I’ll come back on a better day and edit this post. Maybe). Since the fabric was too short, I figured it’d look best to have 2 strips on either side, and one long strip going from one end to the other. (No matter how many times I read this paragraph, it doesn’t seem to get any better or easier to understand. And I’m the one writing it!)

So there you have it. The world’s worst DIY post with the world’s worst explanation. Good luck making your own. Maybe you should YouTube it.

DIYottoman05